[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] H.264/SQV3 separation: h264data.h

Panagiotis Issaris takis.issaris
Tue Dec 16 11:01:34 CET 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 02:26 +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
[...]
> > There have been tons of changes to h264.c that were not subjected to the
> > speed inquisition, everything PAFF-related jumps to my mind for example.
>
> benchmarking past changes is welcome, i surely think we should do that one
> day and look into speedlosses.

Now this isn't not exactly fair, is it? Those benchmarks should have
occurred before the patches got applied. You can't expect people to
accept there patches being rejected for some speed loss, while others
got committed without benchmarking.

Besides that, in my opinion you can't benchmark code on one particular
machine and expect a 0.5% performance loss to say anything about the
codes performance on other machines (other then that the code hasn't
introduced a substantial performance change on similar machines).

With friendly regards,
Takis