[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] H.264/SQV3 separation: h264data.h

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari
Tue Dec 16 02:56:41 CET 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 4:53 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Diego Biurrun <diego <at> biurrun.de> writes:
>
>> Well, our H.264 decoder is not the fastest around
>
> CoreAVC was (much) slower on single core CPUs when I last tested. I've never
> seen different results.
> Or are you referring to another decoder?

Last I remember testing, it was faster on almost all CPUs except the
most recent Intel ones (where SSE is so fast that CoreAVC's lack of
SSE becomes rather painful).

The interesting thing is that CoreAVC is actually surprisingly similar
to ffh264 in terms of performance features--I am still not entirely
sure why it is at all faster.  It may simply be less overhead due to
better organization, or perhaps its prefetching and better cache
handling.

Dark Shikari