[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] When to bump micro?

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Sun Dec 14 16:19:30 CET 2008

On date Sunday 2008-12-14 15:37:07 +0100, Reimar D?ffinger encoded:
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 03:18:43PM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> > As a rule of thumb I bump it when I'm changing the behaviour of some
> > _public_ function, *or* I want to mark some difference which doesn't
> > change the API (so doesn't require a minor bump) but still is worth to
> > be detected by a version check (e.g. I used it in the recent
> > av_log_missing_feature -> ff_log_missing_feature).
> >
> > Is this criterion valid?
>
> Define "some differences". IMO: bug fixes micro, new features minor.

For example I'm changing the behaviour of av_set_string2() (check the
thread: "Remove libavcodec/opt.c:set_all_opt()"), here I'm *removing*
a potentially troublesome feature, so maybe it can be considered a
fix.

In another case I'm changing the behaviour of some public function
(check the thread: "Make register_codec() call avcodec_init()"), this
cannot considered neither a fix neither a feature, it simply changes
the semantic of the function in a backward compatible way, somehow it
can be considered a fix since it avoids a possible erroneous use of
it.

I'd tend to apply a micro rather than a minor bump even in this case,
and reserve minor bumps for new API symbols and new components
introduction, but I see that the criterion to apply is somehow
subjective since it depends on what one considers a "bugfix" rather
than a "feature".

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Fantastic & Foolish Meaningful Purposeless Excellent God