[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] FFmpeg icons

Diego Biurrun diego
Mon Dec 8 11:40:50 CET 2008

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 08:04:06AM -0200, Ramiro Polla wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 7:54 AM, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 06, 2008 at 03:04:20PM -0200, Ramiro Polla wrote:
> >>
> >> Since FFmpeg already kind of has an official logo, it could have an
> >> official icon, so other projects can use or something... ffmpeg.org
> >> could also have a favicon.ico or the w3m rel attribute:
> >> http://www.w3.org/2005/10/howto-favicon
> >
> > Added.  I did it the same way I used for MPlayer back in the day.  Maybe
> > I'll change it to be closer to this specification.
>
> Hmm, could you explain a little just so I that we understand what was
> done?

Yes, it's probably not immediately obvious.

> You added the 16x16 png with favicon.ico name, right?

Yes.

> Will all browsers accept the png with .ico extension? (well, obviously
> not all, but the major ones like ie, firefox, and safari)

I tested with Firefox, reports from other browsers are welcome.  But
note that I do not give a damn about IE.

Anyway, back in the days certain versions of IE were really popular and
always looked for favicon.ico in the root of the website path.  This was
really annoying because it would clutter up the website logs with 404
hits.  It got to the point that I simply added an empty favicon.ico file
to shut it up.

I don't remember the article you mention existing back when I set this
up for the MPlayer website.  I used the standards compliant <link>
method then, even though IE would fail.  But then again, IE failed with
even simple pieces of CSS back in those version 6 days.  It was improved
but not completely fixed in version 7, dunno about version 8.

I'll digest the article and see if we should adapt this further.

Diego