[FFmpeg-devel] Files crashing FFmpeg

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari
Wed Dec 3 19:24:46 CET 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 10:04 AM, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 06:24:00PM +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
>> >
>> > That was copyright infringement.
>>
>> Hm, from all I saw it seemed more like "unsubstantiated copyright
>> infringement claims"...
>
> An On2 employee told me it was not unsubstantiated and it could well be.
> But this is irrelevant.  What's relevant here is that this is not a
> problem x264 could face.

Indeed.  From what I remember of the actual discussion over Gtalk that
I had with skal, the whole thing reeked of FUD from the very
beginning.  I'm not sure exactly why this policy exists, but the
excuses are pure FUD and nothing else.  The whole issue of
"distributing encoders for patented formats whose patent holders are
litigious" deal has already happened and been beaten to death by the
LAME issue back in the day.

Dark Shikari