[FFmpeg-devel] Realmedia patch

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Mon Aug 25 00:32:33 CEST 2008

Hi Luca,

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 4:08 PM, Luca Abeni <lucabe72 at email.it> wrote:
> Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> [...]
>> So I'll go for the small-patch path for parts that I think I can
>> separate, I hope that helps. The attached patch adds the parse_header
>> vfunc which I need because the RTSP packet header is different for RDT
>> versus regular RTSP.
>
> Just one quick question: why are you using the RTP demuxer for receiving
> RDT (which seems to be a different thing)? Has this been requested during
> a previous review? If yes, then I suspect your patch is ok (but I think
> this makes the RTP code even more convoluted).
> If no, then I suspect the best thing to do would be to add a new
> "RTSP_PROTOCOL_RDT" protocol to RTSPProtocol, and to use it for calling
> an "rdt_parse_packet()" instead of rtp_parse_packet().
> Also, I think there are no RTCP-like packets with RDT, so
> rtp_check_and_send_back_rr() should not be called, and the RTCP input
> port should not be opened...

I guess the answer to all of this is "because it seemed like the
easiest way to get it to work". My impression so far is that RDT is
some sort of a modified RTSP, but it's largely the same (I think you
agree here, right?). As for RDT vs. RTP, yeah, there's great
differences, but the infrastructure largely pointed at RTSP -> RTP so
I just followed that and modified as accordingly. I could separate,
but there'd be large similarities between RDT and RTP (then again, the
boilerplate code between ASF and AVI demuxers is also the same, so
maybe this is a mood point).

If you wish, I can do it all separately but I'm not sure if that'd
make stuff easier. Basically the if(real){..}else{..} would just be in
different functions, so to say.

Ronald