[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Export eval.h?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Aug 20 23:17:30 CEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 06:49:01PM +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> On date Wednesday 2008-08-20 03:05:24 +0200, Stefano Sabatini encoded:
> > On date Wednesday 2008-08-20 01:43:17 +0200, Michael Niedermayer encoded:
> > > On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:43:53PM +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > Michael:
> > > i wonder if it would make sense to just use the whole expression evaluator
> > > instead of av_strtod().
> >
> > I think this could be a very good idea, anyway maybe is still a good
> > idea to export av_strtod(), skip review of the following patch
> > otherwise.
> [...]
>
> And finally I discovered that eval.h is not a public header, when we
> can still use it in cmdutils.c with:
> #include "libavcodec/eval.h"
>
> I think ff* tools shouldn't use internal functions as they are the
> implementation reference for libav*.
>
> On the other hand I find eval features quite useful per-se, so I
> think maybe it's arrived the time to export it, I volunteer to do all
> the required work if Michael and other maintainers agree.

i agree in principle but it might take longer than normal to review
because theres quite a bit i should review and should work on ...

> The plan could sound as follows:
> 1) move eval.[ch] to libavutil
> 2) s/ff_/av_/ in some function names
> 3) export eval.h interface and bump minor libavutil version

yes, but i have to review eval API/ABI and think about it before it can be
exported, i wont do this soon ...

Many things microsoft did are stupid, but not doing something just because
microsoft did it is even more stupid. If everything ms did were stupid they
would be bankrupt already.