[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] License header consistency

Diego Biurrun diego
Sun Aug 17 21:21:45 CEST 2008

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 07:08:25PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> Do we require all developers to ensure that *GPL license headers are
> precissely copy & pastes of the one master copy diego picked?
>
> My vote is NO

YES

> my argument is that this wastes developer time that can be spend doing
> something more usefull even if its just little time, but such little
> times add up, and its not only time to fix the headers but also to diff
> them against a reference before each check in.
> Besides its neither a issue of legal correctness if a LGPL variant is
> used that happens to have a space more or less somewhere, or uses
> "this library" instead of "ffmpeg" or was what diego prefered 4 years ago.

Pasting the correct header from *any* file in FFmpeg takes 0.001% of the
time it takes to write the source file and exactly 0% more time than
pasting it from somewhere else.

Besides, we will end up with GPL 2.1 and LGPL 2.0 headers everywhere.
These are non-existing license versions.

Diego