[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] License header consistency

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik
Sun Aug 17 19:16:01 CEST 2008

On Sunday, 17 August 2008 at 19:08, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> Simple question
> Do we require all developers to ensure that *GPL license headers are
> precissely copy & pastes of the one master copy diego picked?
>
> My vote is NO
>
> my argument is that this wastes developer time that can be spend doing
> something more usefull even if its just little time, but such little
> times add up, and its not only time to fix the headers but also to diff
> them against a reference before each check in.
> Besides its neither a issue of legal correctness if a LGPL variant is
> used that happens to have a space more or less somewhere, or uses
> "this library" instead of "ffmpeg" or was what diego prefered 4 years ago.

Why not simply provide a template.h and template.c with the correct headers
already present. Or maybe template_gpl.* and template_lgpl.*.

That way we could have both correct headers and less wasted developer time.

Regards,
R.

--
MPlayer http://mplayerhq.hu | Livna http://rpm.livna.org