[FFmpeg-devel] GOM Player on the Blacklisted Projects

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Apr 10 05:07:36 CEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 08:51:57PM -0400, Francois Oligny-Lemieux wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 8:29 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 07:59:00PM -0400, Francois Oligny-Lemieux wrote:
> >  [...]
> >
> > > Below are the specific questions/answer asked to FSF:
> >  >
> >  > > Q. What ffmpeg requires is that the new developer mention on which
> svn
> >  > > revision he branched the original tree (to comply apparently with GPL
> >  > > ?!? is this true?), and secondly, to produce a diff of its change (to
> >  > > comply with 2.a).
> >
> >  I do not remember that anyone of us did require this, are you a native
> >  english speaker?
> >

> I read:
>
> The diff file you have for download is not created in a way that makes
> > it useful.  It is very cumbersome to handle because it covers all the
> > metadata of the Subversion revision control system and all files that
> > were removed instead of changed.  Tell your engineers that the command
> > 'svn diff' is able to produce the correct output without all this hassle.
>

> [...]
> >

> > So to answer your question: You are still not in compliance with FFmpeg
> > licensing terms.  Fix the issues I pointed out above and we can continue
> > talking.
> >

> Then I understand that to be in compliance with FFmpeg licensing terms, he
> has to fix the issues about the diff. Which means the diff is somehow needed
> for the compliance with FFmpeg licensing terms (which are supposedly LGPL
> and GPL).

You seem to have some problems with your understanding. Normally one would
read the license terms if one wanted to know what one has to do precissely
to comply to them. Diego also pointed to the license and the FAQ from the
FSF at some earlier email IIRC.

Also you seem to have lost a bunch of paragraphs between the 2 quoted and
3 pages of text prior to them which described various issues to which the
paragraph refered.

But then you cant seem to properly quote mail anyway considering the
unrelated fullquote which (i sniped) below. So i assume thats
incompetence and not intentional.
Anyway, ill make a note that you dislike being contacted by a friendly
volunteer developer ever.

It is not what we do, but why we do it that matters.