[FFmpeg-devel] make: *** virtual memory exhausted. Stop.

Alban Bedel albeu
Tue Apr 8 16:58:41 CEST 2008

Hi all,

there seems to be some problem with the new Makefiles. I get a "virtual
memory exhausted" error when compiling lav* from MPlayer. I tried
ffmepg itself and I get the same error. Attached is a make -d log
(although it doesn't seems to contain anything useful) and my
config.mak.

top is showing about 200MB free mem and 1G of totally unused swap, so
this look like a bug in make. I haven't looked at the new Makefile, but
I remember having similar problems on a project of mine when the
dependency list of generated targets grew too large. My solution was
to use some dummy targets to split the dependencies across several
targets. But that's really ugly.

	Albeu