[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC project task

Jai Menon realityman
Tue Apr 8 07:03:59 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 08 April 2008 05:05:16 Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 07:27:18PM +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> > >
> > > If i could still do the project under FFmpeg, it would be excellent
> > > because with the number of mentor-paired tasks on their ideas, i don't
> > > think Xiph would devote a slot for this. But, as always, any inputs are
> > > welcome.
> >
> > You could still ask if they would devote a person that is willing to
> > help you with the libspeex source, because you _will_ have to read and
> > almost "reverse engineer" that (though I think it is not very difficult
> > if as a first step you throw out anything related to error
> > concealment/dropped package handling), and I won't be much of a help
> > there, since I don't know the speex code much and know mostly the basics
> > of audio coding.
> > So you should be confident that you can either get help from Xiph or
> > "naturally" understand most of the concepts and details for Speex
> > decoding.
> > What I so far intend to do as mentor is mostly help with the FFmpeg API,
> > make sure you do not reimplement stuff that is already part of our
> > "framework", help if there is a "I need a second pair of eyes" kind of
> > bug and review patches.
>
> I asked around and Jean-Marc Valin (Speex author) said he would assist
> with questions about Speex.
>
> Diego

As luck would have it, the GSoC application period just got over !! This means
that I haven't submitted an "official" application for this to FFmpeg. I have
instead applied for the G.723.1 decoder and encoder as far as my inclination
towards speech coding goes. But still, speex support (or anything else for
that matter) and related work can be done outside of GSoC as well and I'm
glad that the speex author himself would be available for answering questions
regarding the source. I'll surely look into this (or assist if anyone is
doing so already) after I finish some stuff I'm researching for the alac
encoder.

Regards,

Jai Menon
<realityman at gmx.net>