[FFmpeg-devel] DaVinci DSP optimizations

Ramiro Polla ramiro
Wed Apr 2 20:39:19 CEST 2008

> > This is part of a reply I got from Joey Born and Ugo Riboni from
> > Neuros Technology:
> > ----------
> > JB: There is no free compiler for the c64x DSP
[...]
> > "normal" people can't use these, so they can't compile it.
>
> Ugh...
>
> > Thus getting that code in ffmpeg source feels pretty weird to me.
> > Or is this not a concern ?
>
> It is at least for me.

I had the same feeling when I failed to find a free compiler =(
Looks like another foiled attempt at a GSoC project...

> > One alternative may be lobby TI to release some stripped
> > open-source-only version of that compiler, that can be freely used by
> > OSS projects only.
> > Just like they did with the c54x compiler.
>
> Could be interesting in any case.
>
> For the CELL we have quite a degree of support and knowledgeable
> mentors, but lack of students so far...

Unlike Multimedia Mike, I am not a strong supporter of Video Games,
so I am not particularly happy with writing code for PS3s.

Ramiro Polla