[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpeg or ffserver to stream?

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Tue Sep 4 09:47:41 CEST 2007

Hi,

Claudio Bertozzi wrote:
[...]
> The strange thing now is that the stream received with VLC it's
> correct (I check it frame by frame with Ethereal checking also the
> timestamps and the frame type and both are well flagged) but VLC
> decode only I.frames skipping all the P-frames

I just repeated my experiments with the "ffmpeg" program (using the
command line I posted), and vlc can receive the video without problems
(if audio and video are badly interleaved, you might need to increase
the vlc receive buffer with "--file-caching 1000", or something like
that). So, I suspect the problem might be in your code.

BTW, I even went crazy, and streamed an MPEG1 file containing B frames.
After applying the timestamp patches I posted yesterday, the stream is
received without problems.

If you find problems by using the "ffmpeg" program, let me know how to
reproduce them, and I'll fix the bugs.

> Is possible that frame types
> are flagged also in another place (like inside RTP header)?
Yes, the frame type is flagged in the payload header. But I am quite
sure that such field is filled properly (and, most important, vlc does
not use this information).

Anyway, I am writing my own streaming program using libav*, but it is
not releasable yet. If people are interested, I'll try to release a
first work-in-progress version in few weeks.

				Luca