[FFmpeg-devel] Question about hardware acceleration

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Sep 1 01:43:43 CEST 2007

Hi

On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 10:45:25AM -0400, Jeff Watson wrote:
> I've been looking around and can't find an answer to this:

where and how did you look? what can we do to make our documentation
more idiot proof?

> Does FFmpeg take advantage of available accelerated hardware decoding,
> or is it purely a software solution?

yes one of the alternatives is true

seriously this list is for development of ffmpeg ...

to awnser your question libavcodec supports xvmc so yes it uses the
hardware if it can and the application using lavc supports it
thats besides tons of hand written assembly for x86, ppc, sparc, alpha, ...

Why not whip the teacher when the pupil misbehaves? -- Diogenes of Sinope