[FFmpeg-devel] [augustus at linuxhardware.org: SSE4 and FFMPEG]

Loren Merritt lorenm
Tue Oct 30 12:02:37 CET 2007

On 29 Oct 2007, Kris Kersey (Augustus) wrote:

> I am writing an article about the new "Penryn" Intel processor for
> LinuxHardware.org.  Can you or another member of the FFMEG team comment on
> what impact SSE4 will have on FFMPEG and whether there are any plans to
> write SSE4 optimized code?  Thank you for your time.

I plan to write SSE4 code when I get an SSE4 capable cpu. Which is not
immediately.
Don't expect any drastic improvements. Every SSE4 instruction can be
emulated with just a few SSE2 instructions, so it will only shave a few
cycles of certain operations. Furthermore, FFmpeg contains many functions
that don't even have SSE2 versions. MMX2->SSE2 should make more difference
than SSE2->SSE4.

--Loren Merritt