[FFmpeg-devel] H.264 + PAFF: BBC HD recording shows extreme interlacing artefacts

Reinhard Nissl rnissl
Sun Oct 28 01:29:22 CEST 2007

Hi,

I'm using FFmpeg successfully with vdr-xine for decoding H.264
broadcasts. Recently, a user for vdr-xine reported extreme interlacing
artefacts in some scenes of his recordings. If you have a look at this
image, you can get an idea of this interlacing artefacts (which also
appear when playing the recording with ffplay).

http://home.vrweb.de/~rnissl/ffmpeg/bbc_hd.png

Strange is that splitting the image into images which just contain odd
or even lines respectively doesn't give you two "crisp" images. After
splitting the odd lines image for example once again, I've got a crisp
image and one which looks like luma and chroma don't match.

This leads me to the conclusion that there might still be a decoding
issue with H.264 + PAFF.

Shall I upload this recording for further investigation?

Bye.
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl
mailto:rnissl at gmx.de