[FFmpeg-devel] PS3 Cell BE Optimizations

Brian Raymond braymond
Mon Oct 22 16:16:38 CEST 2007

M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> "Timothy Baldridge" <tbaldridge at gmail.com> writes:
>

>> P.S. I just recalculated and got 177MB/sec:
>> 1920 * 1080 * 3bpp *30fps /1024/1024 = 177MB/sec
>>

> I would guess, though do not know for sure, that the framebuffer is 4
> bytes per pixel.

I decided to play with my PS3 some more because Google locates a couple
of posts with MPEG2 playback at 1080 working alright under YDL. I cannot
say why I had such problems when I tested it but it was quite a while
ago so I think it is time to do it again. One thing I forgot to mention
earlier is that although it is not under Linux the PS3 supports playback
of H.264 at 1080 using it's native interface, this includes uPnP content
via DLHA (although I haven't tried uPnP HD myself) from the network.

I wrote this email right before turning my PS3 on and it seems the video
decided to die, only random green pixels no matter what I do. Maybe I've
been having hardware problems preventing it from working as well as it
should.

- Brian