[FFmpeg-devel] FFSERVER/FFMPEG Broken? --- Broken!

Piero Bugoni ffmpeg.devel
Mon Oct 22 00:42:33 CEST 2007

> It's not a dozen hours of work and it should not be more than 3-4 hours
> of time (90% of which you can do other things).  I'm talking from
> experience here, I've done it many many times.

I'm not sure this is entirely true, but it doesn't really matter. I could
probably do it in short time if I focussed on it, but I just don't give a fuck.

More important, there is a principal here. I did not break the fucking thing,
I'm not going to take the time to fix it. (Or even try).

I've already spent about a half an hour just to determine that it is actually
broke. (It is). Not to mention the time I am now putting in this thread.

If anyone has a later rev that is already built, or that may be in production
somewhere they can try it to see if it works and report back. This will not
take long. (I even provided configuration files for this).

I have reported the last working rev I have. If anyone else can report a later
working rev, I may start there. (OK, maybe I'll try a post in ffmpeg.user, to
see if I can get reports back).

Unless someone else can confirm that the latest rev is working, I am sure that
it is broken and that the problem is not a "user error".

As far as I am concerned everyone who has committed since the last known-good
rev needs to check their shit. I think this is a minimum responsibility that
goes with having commit status: Check your shit! (If for no other reason than
to eliminate your changes as a possible cause). And, perhaps more practically,
I do not think it will take anyone very long to reflect on what they have done
in the past few months and suggest a possible culprit. At least from there I
would consider investigating. Walking around blindfolded trying to scoop up
other peoples poop is not my thing.

> If you don't have enough time to spare, that's unfortunate, but the
> issue is likely to remain unresolved until somebody else finds the time
> and motivation to do it...

I don't care. It's not my software. Non-working code reflects upon the
developers. Not me. There are revs that sort-of work, and they can be used.

> > > Also, how do we know who broke it without knowing which commit broke it?
> >
> > They know who they are...
>
> Huh?  What are you talking about?  There is no secret agenda out to
> break ffserver.  Whatever breakage occurred, I can assure you that
> nobody caused it on purpose.

I was being sarcastic. However, the idea of developers getting together
Star-Chamber fashion, and conspiring to vex users certainly sounds interesting.

Bottom line:

Bug has been reported. I am as sure as I can be that it is real. If anyone
comes back with more info I'll look there. If I can give more info I will. I
may even take some pot-shots checking different revs when I have time. But I am
not going to scour the code to find how someone else broke previously-working
code, much less spend any more time explaining why.

It's Broke. It's been reported. Best of luck.

P.