[FFmpeg-devel] PS3 Cell BE Optimizations

Timothy Baldridge tbaldridge
Fri Oct 19 23:33:57 CEST 2007

Well, that's the question I guess. I don't own a PS3, but from the
code I looked up you basically get a pointer to the framebuffer that
is mapped into the main memory. So can someone write this in C code
and do a benchmark?

#define mframes 100000
#define framesize 1920 * 1080 * 3;
fbp = framebuffer()
t1 = time()
bbuf = malloc(framesize)
memset(bbuf, 255);
for (int x = 0; x < mframes; x++) {
      memcpy(fbp, bbuf, framesize);
      flipframebuf();
}
t2 = time()

print t2-t1

Yeah, it's sloppy, but I wrote it in 3 minutes. Anyone with a PS3 want
to translate that into something usable? I'd love to see what type of
results we get. As well as the CPU usage (should be 100%).

A question to all the Cell Gurus out there. Could the SPEs be used to
do the bitblt?

P.S. I just recalculated and got 177MB/sec:
1920 * 1080 * 3bpp *30fps /1024/1024 = 177MB/sec

Timothy