[FFmpeg-devel] Bugreport: compiling fails with -fPIC used

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Oct 18 12:16:27 CEST 2007

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 08:59:27AM +0200, Thorsten Jordan wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer schrieb:
> > Hi
> >
> >> you are right, it is hackish. It can be done better my using direct
> >> register names. I don't know if that is welcome, at least the following
> >> patch is better in that case.
> >>
> >> The second change further down the file is in a second patch.
> > IIRC the function uses 6 registers so putting it under HAVE_7REGS is not
> > correct
> yes i agree, but what would be a better alternative? #ifndef
> HAVE_EBX_AVAILABLE ?

is the code using EBX?

> Is there any interest in patches for that problem btw?

there is no interrest in dirty hacks at least, any duplication of the
code will be rejected also any wrong code will be rejected and any change
which may slow the code down will as well be rejected
if someone provides a patch within these constraints it might be accepted
but dont forget that the problem is in gcc, a fix should as well be in gcc
ideally

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give
it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For
even the very wise cannot see all ends. -- Gandalf