[FFmpeg-devel] Bugreport: compiling fails with -fPIC used

Thorsten Jordan tjordan
Tue Oct 16 14:30:16 CEST 2007

Michael Niedermayer schrieb:
> Hi
>
> you sound very confused
i have to admit it sounds so, here is the background:

i am maintaining a decoder library using ffmpeg for an entertainment
center solution that consists of several processes (5 using my lib), so
i have to use shared libraries otherwise too much ram is wasted. I
discovered that only shared libraries compiled with -fPIC allow true
sharing of the ram, which all fits to your explanations.

> and who uses more than 1 or maybe 2 applications using libav* at the same
> time? (ever used xine, vlc, ffmpeg and mplayer at the same time?)
normally no one, but here i have to...

The question is if ffmpeg developers want to support the -fPIC
compatibility. I supposed so because there is the special HAVE_7REGS
handling. In that case the current code doesn't compile.

Indeed the compiler fails where it could generate working code, but i
can't change the compiler either (what else than gcc-4.1 or 4.2 could i
use...).

--
Greetings, Thorsten