[FFmpeg-devel] libavutil simd

Rich Felker dalias
Tue Oct 2 16:59:39 CEST 2007

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 03:27:56PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> the whole thread seems to be centered around "we must do it at runtime
> no matter what" i just cant help but keep wondering why that is so
> important?

I agree totally, this view is unnecessary and causing problems..

> also if people really insist on doing this at runtime against all sanity
> we could at least have a
> #define PATH_TO_CPUINFO "/proc/cpinfo"
> and use that
> and non linux OS could then if their users want, create such file
> with proper altivec/sparc vis info and a path appropriate for their OS

This seems reasonable.

> PS: let me remind everyone that libavutil is supposed to be LIGHTweight,
> simple, modular and fast
> and i really would rather drop SIMD in libavutil completely before we

Agreed. I don't see a point in having SIMD (or any asm or
non-100%-portable-C) code in libavutil to begin with, but people keep
proposing optimizations to this stuff with dubious value..

> fill it up with some of the idiotic hacks suggested by the army of
> bloated zombies in this thread. Many of you really sound like win32
> users who want their ideas implemented no matter how stupid

LMAO :)

> PS2: this reply is not really a reply to rich but rather to th whole
> thread

I hope not just to me because it's not my idea to make it so complex
and disgusting. I was just suggesting ways that would be less-bad if
people insist on doing it..

Rich