[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Split libavformat

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Mon Nov 26 15:07:00 CET 2007

Hi,

On Nov 26, 2007 5:24 AM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:

> spliting "os support" that is providing missing functionality (lrintf,
> resolve host, ...) off would
> be very usefull for many (non av) applications and is a neccessry
> prerequesit for IPv6 it seems. but this is not part of your split,
> libavnet
> is absolutely not acceptable for providing non static/external
> net-os-support,
> that is one which can be accessed by applications like ffmpeg.c or
> ffserver.c
> any lib which would provide missing OS functionallity must be free of all
> av related code

I think the point argued here was that we should use system functions
directly. Once we assert the system needs getaddrinfo(), the whole of
os_support.c could go away (poll() can go to ffserver - it's under #ifdef
config_ffserver already; ff_socket_nonblock() can become inline in
network.hand resolve_host() and inet_aton() are no longer needed).
OSes not having
these functions (e.g. getaddrinfo()) can use --disable-network or link to a
OS-specific helper lib in e.g. configure/$EXTRA_LIBS. No code / exports
needed.

Regardless, it should probably not be exported, ffmpeg is not a "we fix your
broken OS" lib, it is a multimedia lib. I think that's also why my network
patches didn't go in...

Ronald