[FFmpeg-devel] higher-level libs?

Rich Felker dalias
Tue Nov 20 07:12:23 CET 2007

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 06:27:04PM +1300, David McNab wrote:
> The features I'm needing in an FFMPEG interface library are:
>
>  - open a video file of any format quickly and easily (without spending
>    hundreds of lines of code messing about with lower-level issues)

This is a very reasonable goal.

>  - read a frame and:
>      - extract the video raw data, preferably as planar YUVA 4:4:4 but

YUV 4:2:0 with no A is a lot more standard. Why would you want a
format that's likely not to be usable as-is? And (extremely slow!!)
resampling for no good?

>        RGB would suffice

Uhg even nastier.

>      - extract the audio raw data

In what format? :)

>  - open an output file, and set the encoding options with a maximum
>    of simple abstraction and a minimum of fuss
>  - write a frame, give raw video and audio data

Both at the same time? Some buffering is certainly needed for a
trivial api like you want. How to deal with that is nontrivial.

>  - for file formats that support it (eg DV), seek to arbitrary positions
>    in the file

All formats support it, it's just a question of how fast they can do
it and whether parsing the codec data is needed.. But what's meant by
"seek to position X" requires some thought.

Rich