[FFmpeg-devel] Mpeg2 encoder can't break through the Quantizer 2 barrier ?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Nov 12 11:14:02 CET 2007

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 11:02:25AM +0100, christophelorenz wrote:
> I'm trying to encode very high bitrate video in HD with bitrates upto
> 80Mbits in mpeg2.
> Seems the bitrate management has problems to use quantizers lower than
> 2... although -qmin 1 is set.
> Note that -qscale 1 works as expected and produce a correct stream (as
> far as I can see)
> Tried a lot of options, but can't get ffmpeg to use q=1 when bitrate
> control is used.
> Is there any reason for that behaviour ?

yes, user error you need -lmin '1*QP2LAMBDA' as well and such questions
belong to the ffmpeg-user list

Democracy is the form of government in which you can choose your dictator