[FFmpeg-devel] H.264: illegal short term buffer state detected

Reinhard Nissl rnissl
Fri Nov 2 22:34:52 CET 2007

Hi,

Jeff Downs schrieb:

>> anyone interested in a short recording which reports the mentioned message?
>
> Yes, but only if you aren't getting other errors first (especially about
> get_buffer() problems) and if it happens after the first IDR.

Well, there seems to be something strange -- that's why my reply took so
long to prepare.

I use FFmpeg's H.264 decoder via libxine to play HD recordings from VDR.
VDR's recordings use PES packets. libxine's FFmpeg interface collects
the PES payload of video packets. Furthermore it looks for H.264 AUDs
and breaks the collected data into such chunks that contain all data for
an access unit (i. e. field or frame picture). These chunks of data are
then fed to avcodec_decode_video(). I've modified the libxine part to
write each chunk of data into a separate file. The filename further
contains whether avcodec_decode_video() yielded a frame to show on
screen (*_1* otherwise *_0*).

The strange thing is, when I cat all those chunks together and play the
resulting file with ffplay or mplayer (without any further options), the
above mentioned error message doesn't appear at all. So I'm lost --
either I missed a switch which would make those players report this
message too, or the error is the result of how libxine feeds the data to
FFmpeg.

The attached file shows the error messages which FFmpeg outputs while
playing this short recording via libxine. The filenames indicate that
the messages above the filename where generated while decoding the chunk
of data which is contained in the specified file.

The above mentioned error message appears first for the file
/video/stream-0103_1.es.h264.

Please tell me, what I shall do next (e. g. uploading the files).

Bye.
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl
mailto:rnissl at gmx.de