[FFmpeg-devel] [FFmpeg-cvslog]?r10889?-?trunk/libavcodec/allcodecs.c

Robert Swain robert.swain
Thu Nov 1 03:33:17 CET 2007

Hello,

On 1 Nov 2007, at 01:27, Ismail D?nmez wrote:
> Thursday 01 November 2007 Tarihinde 03:17:49 yazm??t?:
>> On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 02:30:08AM +0200, Ismail D?nmez wrote:
>>> Thursday 01 November 2007 Tarihinde 02:31:54 yazm??t?:

>>> No,
>>
>> see, the libvorbis encoder should be removed

That depends on the goal of FFmpeg. Do we want the goal to be to
implement all codecs better than everyone else regardless of whether
someone else is better in the meantime? Not that it's any kind of
spoken rule and I don't mean to offend anyone but I get the feeling
that MPlayer's goal is to use whatever is currently the best and
FFmpeg's goal is more idyllic, to develop the best, possibly with the
exception of x264 for some reason. (Because it's too good? :))

> In 5 years we might have just another codec, its just too long to
> remove a
> working implementation. So please, don't break whats working.
> Instead audio
> people should focus on a working AAC encoder.

Isn't high-quality lossy audio compression mostly about
psychoacoustic tuning? Is it possible to create very well performing
generic models to be used across multiple codecs? (SoC project?) Then
work on AAC would benefit Vorbis too. :)

Oh, and don't you have to specify the audio encoder if you want to
encode anything but the default audio codec? In which case there is
no default vorbis encoder as it has to be specified.

Just some random musings.

Rob