[FFmpeg-devel] r9017 breaks WMA decoding on Intel Macs

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu May 31 13:22:45 CEST 2007

Hi

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 01:05:04PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
[...]
> [...]
> > >
> > > There is no luck in the old solution providing :
> > > - we tell gcc the memory we modify (may be using "memory" clobber).
> > > - we use a gas supporting the +(%reg) syntax
> >
> > I disagree. Newer gas _do_ complain about the syntax, and Trent
> > already explained the shortcomings of current implementation, no need
> > for me to restate them here.
>
> put a "memory" on the clobber list and trents argument is gone

let me elaborate on this a little more

the "memory" is needed because SSE/MMX writes to more than just the
first float/FFTSample (yeah thats pretty much the purpose of MMX/SSE)
gcc is not aware of this, so EVERY solution which uses
"+m" / "=m" to write needs a "memory" clobber

now trents argument is solely based on the situation that there is no
"memory" clobber ...

to summarize the possible solutions
1. dont support ancient assemblers
2. use 123%4 notation (most incorrect syntax possible, and will silently
   generate wrong code on all assemblers if you are unlucky)
3. add more "m" operands to avoid the offsets (might be slower, and might
   fail on some gcc versions)
4. write the whole loop in asm

note, ALL solutions need a "memory" clobber (or some other nasty tricks)

I have often repented speaking, but never of holding my tongue.
-- Xenocrates