[FFmpeg-devel] Parallelized h264 proof-of-concept

Loren Merritt lorenm
Sat May 19 05:25:22 CEST 2007

On Fri, 18 May 2007, Daniel Cardenas wrote:
> Andreas ?man wrote:
>> o Is this (sliced based parallelism) acceptable? Apart from the
>>   obvious issue (content encoded in only one slice)
>
> I've seen plenty of content that is encoded one slice per frame.
> What do you think about parallelism between B frames and future P frames?

The most demanding parts of a movie (highest bitrate) often have few
B-frames, because B-frames aren't very useful in high motion.

But if you implement that, you're most of the way to full frame-level
parallelism.

--Loren Merritt