[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpegs future version control system

Reimar Doeffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Wed May 9 11:03:22 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 10:23:20AM +0200, Guillaume Poirier wrote:
> Le 9 mai 07 ? 02:51, Michael Niedermayer a ?crit :
> > i would like to change ffmpeg from svn to git
>
> Yeah, it certainly seems to be smarter than SVN in most ways. After
> all, the migration to SVN happened with the death of MPHQ1, so there
> hasn't been a thoughough discussion about the pros and cons of SVN.

I agree that it has many nice features, but the only case where there is
any "smartness" (that is in detecting copies) it like always proves from
time to time that artificial intelligence is just a step below natural
stupidity.
I wished people would stop trying to write "smart" programs, they
usually are just as stupid as before, just in addition they force the
user to be stupid as well.

[...]
> > * are there more? probably, comments welcome
>
> One thing that seems important for me is to make sure that GIT
> clients exist on other OS than just Linux. Last time I heard (a long
> time ago), GIT had only Linux clients, but my memory is quite fuzzy,

I guess the idea was to let these people use the CVS interface. But I
agree that having proper native (and also gui) clients would be very
nice, esp. for MPlayer where "normal" users are requested to use SVN all
the time.

> and I haven't had much good sleep lately (still trying to recover
> from Nicolas Berlusconi^W Sarkozy election).

I hope you didn't seriously expect anything else ;-) I admit I am not
well informed but the alternatives didn't seem that much better - except
that they were able to speak more than a few sentences without insulting
a lot of people...

> > how does my plan look like:
> > well first we need to find a reliable, fast and free server with a
> > very
> > fast network connection for ffmpeg-git
>
> Last time I heard, GIT generated quite a bit of traffic compared to
> BitKeeper. I don't know how this compares with CVS or SVN, but I
> think people who have experience with GIT should tell us how
> bandwidth figures look like compared to the VCS they were using
> before (CVS, SVN...)

My very personal impression is: not that much of a difference if using
the git server, though quite a bit higher CPU load on the server,
extremely much higher if using http, rsync or whatever, esp. for initial
checkout and/or users updating rarely.

Greetings,
Reimar Doeffinger