[FFmpeg-devel] [Ffmpeg-devel] SVN dump

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed May 2 16:22:24 CEST 2007

Hi

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 02:57:12PM +0100, Andy Parkins wrote:
> On Wednesday 2007 May 02, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>
> Apologies in advance for the length of this message; I'm trying to be
> thorough, but it's probably all a bit boring.
>
> > because of that we need to be able to fix mistakes and sending everyone a
> > mail saying "hg strip 1234deadbeef" is not an option. thats even more
> > primitive than cvs
>
> I'm curious - what is the procedure now to undo a commit in subversion?
>
>  * -- * -- * -- * -- B -- * -- * -- *
>
> How do you get rid of B without damaging the subsequent commits?

well that depends
if B is just a normal buggy change simple reverting it by applying the
change in reverse and commiting is done

if OTOH B is some really serious messup like someone replacing all \n by
spaces or more realistic someone commiting a huge whitespace change with
some unrelated functional changes in the middle then the proper solution
with svn is to svn copy the last good revision of the file, commit
the change properly and be done, if later commits happened its very unlikely
that they touched the same file. if they still did these would have to be
recommited

> I ask only because whatever procedure you use with subversion would probably
> work with git.

and indeed the copy trick almost worked with git when i tried it
if only git would properly support copies (or alternatively its copy
detection where working but half of the time i tried it git didnt find
the parent file ...)

The misfortune of the wise is better than the prosperity of the fool.
-- Epicurus