[Ffmpeg-devel] Bug report: seeking in mp3 files does not work

Thorsten Jordan tjordan
Mon Mar 26 13:05:54 CEST 2007

>> Hi,
>>
>> SVN checkout of march 22nd 2007.
>> I can't seek in mp3 files any longer, older versions of ffmpeg can do
>> that (September 2006). I can seek in AVIs, OGGs etc., but not mp3.

>It is not possible to start decoding at an arbitrary mp3 frame because
of the bit reservoir.

You can't be serious, right? I know that you can't start decoding at any
mp3 frame in theory, but in practice, user hears short click sound and
that is all, music plays. This explanation is too simple, sorry! Other
players CAN seek in mp3 files and libavformat could do it too until
latest changes.

--
Mit freundlichen Gr??en, Thorsten