[Ffmpeg-devel] tiff encoder (qualification task for GSoC)

Kostya kostya.shishkov
Fri Mar 23 07:46:54 CET 2007

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 10:37:05PM -0500, Justin Ruggles wrote:
> Bart?omiej Wo?owiec wrote:
> > I send a solution of Qualification tasks "TIFF encode". I implemented 24bits
> > rgb tiff encoder. Of course, this solution is only to show my programming
> > abilities in C and knowledge about compression and ffmpeg project. I wrote
> > most parts of standard, which are included in decoder. In future I try to
> > develop more functions, especially including more parts of tiff standard.
> > (more colors depths and more pictures in file).
> > If you have any suggestions, please write.
>
> Good job for a first draft.  As for extending it in the future, adding
> TIFF's basic predictor is pretty simple and increases compression.
> Also, TIFF supports YUV (it calls it YCrCb), which could be especially
> useful for FFmpeg.

I'll see to its support in decoder.

[...]
> It would be great to have JPEG compression here too.  There is a
> technical note from Adobe on the correct way to do JPEG-in-TIFF.  LJPEG
> is especially common, specifically for digital still cameras.  It might
> be a bit complex trying to interface with the mjpeg encoder though.

Hmm, I think Lavc should be able to decode its own output and JPEG-in-TIFF
is not unlike DV-in-(AVI|MOV).

IIRC, there are two variants: JPEG components stored in TIFF tags separately
and whole JPEG-in-JFIF-in-TIFF variant. First seems to be logical at least.
Which one is used?

[...]