[Ffmpeg-devel] [BUG] DV in QuickTime - Aspect Ratio

herve.flores herve.flores
Wed Mar 14 12:20:31 CET 2007

Le 14 mars 07 ? 11:51, Baptiste Coudurier a ?crit :

> Hi
>
> herve.flores wrote:
>>
>> Le 14 mars 07 ? 01:36, Baptiste Coudurier a ?crit :
>>
>>> Hi

>>> I know mov has specific atoms to declare pixel aspect ratio
>>> (pasp), and
>>> clean aperture (clap),
>>
>> beware of the aperture bit, it's a very stange thing (introduce in
>> QT7
>> and not recognize with earlier versions)
>
> Can you please quote the specs ?

I just have that (not very interesting because I note strange
behaviors, depends of the origin of the source, its mask layer, its
display size, etc)
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/QuickTime/Conceptual/
QT7-1_Update_Guide/Content/2NewFeaturesChangesa.html>

>>> my guess is that mov muxer should set them
>>> correctly, I'll fix what needs to be fixed, just supply a dv 16:9
>>> sample, or a way to generate one with ffmpeg.
>>
>> ffmpeg -i input -aspect 16:9 -target pal-dv output.dv
>>

> I think bug reported here is about DV in quicktime, not DIF.

oups!
then a second pass:
ffmpeg -i output.dv -vcodec copy -aspect 16:9 -an output.dv.mov

=> display in QTPlayer : 720*576px

QT's infos:
     QTMovieApertureModeAttribute = clas;
     QTMovieHasApertureModeDimensionsAttribute = 0;

if you set aperture mode to "clean"
and mode dimensions to "1"
then your .mov will be display as 16:9 with QTplayer > v7

PS: the output (.mov) from ffmpeg is "simple", the aperture bit
"clean" does its job (=display an anamorphous file in square mode)
but with files generated by other softs (iMovie for example, which
generate a very complicated .mov), it doesn't work every time :-(
so I don't trust the aperture mode...

bye

Herv?