[Ffmpeg-devel] DAR and SAR FFmpeg option confusion

Robert Swain robert.swain
Sun Mar 11 22:55:45 CET 2007

Hey,

ffmpeg.c:
3578:    { "aspect", HAS_ARG | OPT_VIDEO, {(void*)opt_frame_aspect_ratio}, "set
aspect ratio (4:3, 16:9 or 1.3333, 1.7777)", "aspect" },

libavcodec/utils.c:
579:{"aspect", "sample aspect ratio", OFFSET(sample_aspect_ratio),
FF_OPT_TYPE_RATIONAL, DEFAULT, 0, 10, V|E},

I tried two command lines with -aspect just after -i and another just before the
output file and they exhibited the same behaviour so I assume the position on
the command line doesn't affect the meaning. I think -aspect is being used for
the frame aspect ratio only. I would make a patch but I don't know how to solve
this issue. I would like to be able to set the sample aspect ratio somehow. I'll
do the monkey work if someone explains what needs changing. :)

Regards,
Rob