[FFmpeg-devel] GPL version matter

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Jun 30 22:53:20 CEST 2007

Hi

On Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 10:19:12PM +0200, Christophe GISQUET wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer a ?crit :
> > theres something you miss here, and that is the following part of the LGPL
> > 2.1:
>
> Indeed I missed it, thinking 2.1 was a matter of phraseology. I
> generally don't make my choices on absolute confidence in a sunny
> future, or more tersely, that I will like any GPL versions coming out
> any day.
>
> > so even without the "(at your option) any later version."
> > anyone can take your LGPL 2.1 code and change it to GPL 12.3.4
>
> Then let my obvious question after that obvious correction be:
> Are contributions under the strictly version 2 GPL accepted?

yes, as long as its in seperate new file(s), under proper CONFIG_GPL2 and
you first submit some patch to configure which does actually contain
the needed CONFIG_GPL* setup code and this patch does get accepted by
mans or diego
(note, the changes to configure must be under LGPL of course)

Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in
ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners. -- Vladimir Lenin