[FFmpeg-devel] List of Codecs, Containers, etc.

Steven Zakulec spzakulec
Tue Jun 26 15:10:55 CEST 2007

(Sorry if the threading is horribly broken here.)

Original E-mail
From: Daniel Cardenas [Daniel.Car at cox.net]
Date: 06/26/2007 08:25 AM
To: FFmpeg development discussions and patches [ffmpeg-devel at mplayerhq.hu]
Subject: Re: [FFmpeg-devel] List of Codecs, Containers, etc.

Mike Melanson wrote:
>> [missed this email regarding the Wiki while I was on vacation...]
>>

>> Maybe you're not familiar with the whole Wiki paradigm. It turns nearly
>> any network security model on its head since Wiki was apparently
>> conceived by a bunch of starry-eyed utopians who believe that all people
>> are innately good and only wish to create community and spread knowledge.
>>
>> I do not need to tell you that this does not work in the real world.
>Are you saying wikipedia does not work?
    Wikipedia works because there are a few hundred dedicated individuals who do nothing but patrol the wiki and monitor sections for vandalism and other such things.

>> As I indicated, the wide-open Wiki paradigm is silly on the wide-open
>> internet.
>Seems to work well for many sites such as Gnome and Ubuntu.
    Again, it only works because of a large group of dedicated individuals who spend lots of time checking and re-checking.
>> To review-- the current MediaWiki software that we use allows a
>> malicious user to do an extraordinary amount of damage very quickly and
>> it is very tedious and time-consuming to repair the damage. That's why
>> we had to impose such serious access control, until the situation improves.

>Wonder why it works for so many other sites.
  In summary, the Wiki model works when you have a group of highly dedicated, available individuals to patrol and remove crap.