[FFmpeg-devel] new filter infastructure stuff (Google Summer of Fun)

Aurelien Jacobs aurel
Tue Jun 5 14:29:45 CEST 2007

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 07:09:04 -0400
mmh <mmh at pleasantst.com> wrote:

> Luca Barbato writes:
>  > Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>  > >> Here are some reasons why we might like to support some level of dynamic filters.
>  > >>
>  > >> 1. if you have some proprietary thing you want to apply to the video prior to re-encode.
>  > >
>  > > if some company wants to have their proprietary filters supported _they_
>  > > can add optional .so support ...
>  >
>  > And even if you want it just for internal usage...
>  >
>  > >
>  > >> 2. to add so architecture platform specific capability which is not available to other
>  > >> platforms.
>  >
>  > The only reason I could find for .so is that you may like to build new
>  > modules w/out having to hack the main ffmpeg code, but it isn't exactly
>  > a problem IMHO.
>  >

> Hi Luca,
>
> Another reason might be: to be able to provide a library to a customer
> who doesn't know how or want to run make or install the tools.  And
> for that matter they just have a vanilla distribution of the LINUX on
> machines with out compilation support.

You can't expect such a client to have a working ffmpeg installed.
Anyway, the best solution in this situation is probably to provide a full
ffmpeg compiled to the customer.

Aurel