[FFmpeg-devel] new filter infastructure stuff (Google Summer of Fun)

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Jun 5 03:34:47 CEST 2007

Hi

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 09:04:43PM -0400, mmh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in understanding some specific details about the new
> filter structure being implemented as part of the Google Summer of
> Code Project.  Specifically, will this new package support something
> similar to vhooks which provide the ability to bind filters at runtime
> as shared objects?  I hope the answer is yes.

no
and any dependancy on .so or runtime loading is completely unaccpetable
as some systems simply dont support dynamic loading or shared libs

also a filter system which can dynamically load filters as shared libs
is not that usefull unless you want to support binary only filters
but why should we support that? or even design anything toward making that
easy to do?
that said iam not against optionally supporting dynamically loaded .so
filters but i think this is not really worth the work ...

> I'm also hoping
> something similar for audio will exist and it doesn't just cover
> video.

i too hope we will eventually have a audio filter layer but this years SOC
project is just about video and that is by itself more than large enough
task

Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony.
-- Heraclitus