[FFmpeg-devel] PATCH: allow load_input_picture, load_input_picture to be architecture dependent

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Jul 19 15:11:49 CEST 2007

Hi

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 07:35:55AM -0400, Marc Hoffman wrote:
> On 7/19/07, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> > Hi

> > > We need this now (real soon),
> >
> > who is we?
> >

> > > how long before libavfilter?
> >
> > months
>
> We would be me ++ folks using Blackfin in real systems that are
> waiting for better system performance.

well, if you want to rewrite ffmpeg.c buffer management just to have it
thrown away in a few month i wont stop you ...
also i think you will be very sad when you see how little performace you
gain from it
geting rid of the memcpy that way means you have more buffers internally
and thus the caches will be less efficient

doing the copy in the background like you originally did requires
a few more modifications than you did, that is you would have to add checks
to several points so that we dont read the buffer before the specfic part
has been copied, this sounds quite hackish and iam not happy about it

is mpeg4 encoding speed on blackfin really that important?
cant you just optimize memcpy() in a compatible non background way?

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities
are wrong. -- Voltaire