[FFmpeg-devel] some licensing issues

Michel Lespinasse walken
Mon Jul 16 10:56:50 CEST 2007

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 06:48:02PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> For yuv2rgb.c and yuv2rgb_template.c no more than a third of the
> code is derived in some form from mpeg2dec AFAICT.

At least for the C version of the code I'd say the whole overall
structure of the code is pretty much identical, including the various
tables being used, the macros being used (except for PROLOG and
EPILOG), the amount of unrolling being used, etc... I would not know
about the official definition of a derived work (and I bet lawyers
could argue for hours on that one too) but as a gut reaction,
I feel like I wrote most of this.

It is also my opinion that one should not look at code to write a
functionally equivalent version under a different license, even if
most of the lines had been changed. It's probably not the only way
to do things legally but it sounds like a good and safe rule IMHO.

--
Michel "Walken" Lespinasse
"Bill Gates is a monocle and a Persian cat away from being the villain