[FFmpeg-devel] Transcoding using FFmpeg

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Jul 2 11:42:32 CEST 2007

Hi

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 11:29:59AM +0800, www.whu wrote:
> Hi All!
> I am a gradute student who is working on digtial video transcoding.
> I have found that FFmpeg is a powerful transcoding tool. So I decide to build my
> transcoding project on the basis of  it.
> But I got some problems.
> 1. I am not familiar with coding on  Linux. I spent lots of time on Windows
> IDE like Visual C++/ Turbo C etc. So I got confused when I unpacked the
> whole stuff.

and when you first tried to use vc++ you where not confused?

> I want to know if you use an IDE such as Eclipse or you just coding the project
> in the terminal using an edtior like VI.
>
> Any advice will be very appreciated.

if you want a editor with a intuitive GUI, id suggest to try kwrite, it
doesnt have the feature set vi and emacs have though ...

> 2. Libavcodec contains a lot of codecs. I want to modify them and add my own property.
> For example: Transcoding from MPEG2 to MPEG4.
> I have to extract motion vectors from the MPEG2 code stream and then put them into MPEG4
> code stream. However, MPEG2 and MPEG4 are different coding standards, so simply reusing
> motion vectors will cause a lot problems.
> And also, I think analysing libavcodec is a very hard job.
> Is there any document about libavcodec?
>
> 3. Transcoding in FFmpeg is performed as  decoding then encoding. The computational
> complexity is very high compared with the partly decoding then partly encoding procedure.

see -me_threshold and -mb_threshold

Its not that you shouldnt use gotos but rather that you should write
readable code and code with gotos often but not always is less readable