[Ffmpeg-devel] libswscale and vertically flipped images

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Thu Jan 11 16:45:28 CET 2007

Hi Michael,

On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 21:18 +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
[...]
> > My understanding is that the only difference between sws_scale() and
> > sws_scale_ordered() should be that the second one does not reorder the U
> > and V planes
>
> yes
>

> > (but since mplayer always provides ordered planes to
> > libswscale, it should be useless to have both sws_scale() and
> > sws_scale_ordered()).
>
> yes, seems so ...
>

> > So, I would be tempted to say that introducing
> > support for negative line sizes in sws_scale_ordered() only was an
> > error... And that such code should be copied in sws_scale() too.
>
> yes
>
> and one of them, as they are identical then could be marked deprecated
Ok. I while doing this, I initially wanted to do some cleanup of this
code, but then I decided to go for the simplest patch. If cleanups are
needed, we can do them later.

The first attached patch adds support for negative linesizes in
sws_scale() (using the sws_scale_ordered() code), and the second one
deprecates sws_scale_ordered(). In the next days, I'll provide a patch
removing all the sws_scale_ordered() calls from mplayer.

BTW: I had an avi file that showed the problem by causing a negative
linesize, but I cannot find it anymore (or maybe some code changed in
the meanwhile)... The only way I can trigger the "vertical flip" problem
right now is by using .mtv files, after removing the last commit in
libavformat/mtv.c.
So, I do not know if I should apply the patches now, or I should wait
until someone provides a file that can reproduce the problem.

			Thanks,
				Luca
                               N O    W A R ! ! !