[Ffmpeg-devel] Some more thoughts about libavfilter

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Jan 9 01:51:54 CET 2007

Hi

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 11:54:44PM +0100, Luca Abeni wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as promised, I am re-reading my old libavfilter ideas, trying to
> formalize them. Here are some other (more or less confused) thoughts,
> hoping they can be useful to someone :)
> In some previous emails, I already wrote about the get_buffer(),
> push_buffer(), and release_buffer() methods that I think are needed to
> implement a filter in a "push model", and I wrote how the buffers for
> allocating frames are allocated.
>
> I already wrote that the methods cited above get an AVFrame as a
> parameter, and after some other thinking I am convinced that AVFrames
> are the correct entities to pass between filters. I believe they contain
> all the data needed to fullfill the requirements highlighted by Michael.
> Is this ok?

if it works yes ...

> [...]
> AVCodecContext, so I think libavfilter has to provide its own allocation
> function for the filters. I am thinking about something like
> int av_frame_alloc_buffer(AVFrame *f, enum PixelFormat pix_fmt, int w, int h)
> wich in the simplest case could do something like
>     avpicture_alloc((AVPicture *)f, pix_fmt, w, h);
>     f->base[0] = f->data[0];
>     f->base[1] = NULL;
>     f->base[2] = NULL;
> (note that this is not calling avcodec_get_frame_defaults(), because the
> caller is responsible for initializing all the other AVframe fields (it
> might copy them from the input frame, etc...).
>
> Then, avfilter should provide helper functions for copying frames, or
> buffers from a frame to another, or buffers from an AVPicture to an
> AVFrame, etc.
>
> Now, regarding the problem of freeing an AVFrame buffer, I have two
> possible ideas:
> 1) reference counting (as already cited by Alexander Chemeris). We need
> a counter (does AVFrame provide a field that can be used as a reference
> conter? After a first look, I think it does not) that is increased by a
> filter (maybe through an helper function) when the filter starts using
> the buffer and is decreased when the filter does not need the buffer
> anymore. When the counter is 0, the buffer is actually freed / recycled.
>
> 2) The "last" filter who use the AVFrame buffer is responsible for
> freeing it. Basically (assuming a "push model")
>   - every filter has to provide a release_buffer() method;
>   - when a filter F who pushed an AVFrame to its output Fout does
>     not need the AVFrame anymore it calls  Fout->release_buffer();
>   - if F provided an AVFrame buffer to an input filter Fin (which
>     invoked F->get_buffer()) the frame is considered "needed by F"
>     until F->release_buffer() is called on it
>   - if F did not push an AVFrame buffer to Fout (for example, consider,
>     the input frame of a rescaling filter), when F->release_buffer() is
>     invoked on such frame F can free the buffer directly
>
> This looks complex, but in practice it is simpler than it seems (maybe I
> am just bad at describing it :)...
>
> Simple example, using a scaling filter F:
> - when F->get_buffer() is called, F allocates the frame buffer with
> av_frame_alloc_buffer()
> - when F->push_buffer() is called, F
> 	1) calls Fout->get_frame() to get an output frame
> 	2) rescales the input frame in the output frame
> 	3) calls Fout->release_buffer() on the output frame
> - when F->release_buffer() is called, F frees the input frame
>
> Another example, using a pad filter:
> - when F->get_buffer() is called, F calls Fout->get_buffer(),
> manipulates the data[] fields of the AVFrame as needed for padding, and
> returns the AVFrame
> - when F->push_buffer() is called, F fills the "padding borders",
> manipulates the data[] fields of the AVFrame (restoring the initial
> values), and calls Fout->push_buffer()
> - when F->release_buffer() is called, F directly calls

what if there are several Fout? (several outputs)

Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated
form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty. -- Plato