[FFmpeg-devel] OSX 10.5 (Leopard) build problem

Måns Rullgård mans
Sat Dec 15 22:48:19 CET 2007

Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi> writes:

> On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 20:37 +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>> Alexander Strange <astrange at ithinksw.com> writes:
>> > The linker was rewritten for x86-64 support and 10.5 was rushed out
>> > the door apparently before they could put text relocations back
>>
>> Uh, there are no text relocations.  Text relocations in shared
>> libraries can never work on x86-64.  It must have been something else
>> that got removed (or not added).
>
> The earlier messages described the situation as follows: if you try to
> compile the 32-bit version with PIC gcc runs out of registers. On
> earlier OS X versions you could avoid that by compiling it without PIC.
> Now 10.5 fails to support shared libraries with text relocations (on any
> platform). So it IS an issue of text relocations.

I missed the bit about it being a problem only on 32-bit OSX, and PIC
issues usually involve x86-64, so I jumped to the wrong conclusions.
My point remains, though.  The code works, so not supporting it is a
bug in the OSX linker.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com