[FFmpeg-devel] OSX 10.5 (Leopard) build problem

Måns Rullgård mans
Sat Dec 15 21:33:04 CET 2007

"Steven M. Schultz" <sms at 2BSD.COM> writes:

> On Sat, 15 Dec 2007, [iso-8859-1] M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>
>> As far as I am concerned, the bug is in OSX, not FFmpeg.  There are no
>> problems on other OSes, or even older versions of OSX, so there is no
>> technical reason why the code shouldn't work on OSX 10.5.
>
> 	To me it's a matter of poorly formed code that relies on lenient
> 	linkers.  Other systems, including older versions of OSX, had a
> 	linker that apparently allowed non-pic code to be placed in a
> 	shared library.

I consider a linker that disallows certain code for no good reason
broken.  If the code works on x86-64 running Linux, there is no reason
not to allow it in MacOS.

Besides, the code *is* PIC in the sense that it has no text
relocations.  What is your definition of PIC?

> 	When that capability was removed (by accident perhaps) the

Ah, now you admit it might be a linker bug after all.

> 	_workaround_ for the compile failure (and I view requiring
> 	mdynamic-no-pic as a bug workaround for improperly written pic code)
> 	no longer works and the result is a failure to link.

"Improperly written" according to whom?  If it runs and does the right
thing, it is IMO properly written.

> 	I'll just keep using the last built version from October.  When that
> 	ceases to work or be useful then "rm -r" will fix the problem once
> 	and for all ;(

Fine by me, so long as you don't report bugs against that version.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com