[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] codec options

Robert Swain robert.swain
Mon Dec 3 19:21:22 CET 2007

Hello,

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 19:04 +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 04:50:18PM +0100, Benjamin Larsson wrote:
> > Hi, currently if you want to know what option a codec uses you need to
> > look in the source. That makes it hard to know what arguments you can
> > pass to a certain codec. So how about we list all used options in the
> > AVCodec struct for all the codecs? That way we can query a codec for
> > options and graphical tools can build settings screens.
>
> iam fine with that, just keep the list compact, id prefer it not to eat
> up 500k
> we also have many very similar codecs (mpeg variants) which take a very
> similar set of options these should be stored efficiently preferably not
> duplicated for each codec
> this safes not only memory and disk but also reduces the number of files
> which would need to be changed if all mpeg codecs get a new option

I was hoping for some automated approach that could be used something
like this:

Outputting only options relevant to that codec/format/whatever.

Internally this would be done by some option query function and some output formatting function. Then when a UI wants to use this functionality, they can use the query function and their own equivalent of the formatting.

As an aside to whoever (me? :)) implements target presets: it would be nice if one could query the settings used in these as well.

Rob