[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] snow SSE2 optimizations

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Tue Aug 28 17:10:18 CEST 2007

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 01:09:54PM +0200, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
>> Exactly. You need a CPU that has full-width (128bits) ALU to almost
>> guarantee that SSE will be faster. Core2 and upcoming K10 have
>> full-with SSE ALUs.
>
> another way to say it is that you need a cpu which has 2 mmx units and
> can use both for sse instructions but can only use 1 for mmx
>
> if that is a step in the correct direction well ...

Start guessing why there is just one altivec (across 3 generations of
cpus) and SPU is still quite similar...

The intel design for instructions set wasn't and isn't the smarter and
they keep adding irregular changes...

lu - yes I know ia32 and amd64 are on desktops while ppc are fading
away, but really isn't completely my fault...

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero