[FFmpeg-devel] Big companies taking advantage of ffmpeg developers

Crypto rcp
Thu Aug 23 15:27:12 CEST 2007

Michael
Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 02:22:20PM +0200, Crypto wrote:
>
>> I just wonder why some companies refuse to give credit to you, I
>> discovered that Viewcast Corporation http://www.viewcast.com have launch
>> a new version of their main product  Niagara SCX and the only apreciable
>> advantage is that now they use ffmpeg with out fiving credit to ffmpeg.
>> It's mroe thier licence is agains the LGPL in some terms.
>>

> which terms?

First they do not give credict as stated on the LGPL and

1.  GRANT OF LICENSE. This EULA grants you a restricted non-exclusive
license with the following rights: Use and Copy. ViewCast grants to you
the right to use copies of the ViewCast SOFTWARE PRODUCT. You may make
copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT for backup and archival purposes ONLY.

2.  RESTRICTIONS. You must maintain all copyright notices on all copies
of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT. You may not distribute copies of the SOFTWARE
PRODUCT to third parties. You may not reverse engineer, decompile, or
disassemble the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, except and only to the extent that
such activity is expressly permitted by applicable law, notwithstanding
this limitation. You may not rent or lease the SOFTWARE PRODUCT. You may
permanently transfer all of your rights under this EULA only in
conjunction with a permanent transfer of your validly licensed copy or
copies of ViewCast product[s]. You must comply with all applicable laws
regarding the use of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.
> do they provide the ffmpeg source code?

Not
> copy of the LGPL?

Not

>> I checked on the version 5.1.179.0 and this version isntall the
>> following components :
>>
>> lame_enc.dll
>> EmLameWrapper.ax
>> ffmpeg.exe --> incompatible with the avcodec version included ask for
>> avcodec-51.dll
>> avcodec,dll
>> avformat.dll
>> avutil.dll
>>
>> and more
>>
>> You can download a test version from their web site.
>>

> btw, maybe we should use roundup to keep track of license violations, what do
> people think?
> ive definitly lost track of the past ones and that isnt good
>
> btw2, after we know what terms precissely they violate, someone should contact
> them and demand that they comply with the LGPL

their lincense therms
END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR VIEWCAST

IMPORTANT, READ CAREFULLY. This ViewCast End-User License Agreement
(EULA) is a legal agreement between you (either as an individual or a
single entity or corporate entity) and ViewCast Corporation, for the
software product identified above, which includes computer software and
associated media and printed materials (if any), and may include online
or electronic documentation (SOFTWARE PRODUCT or SOFTWARE). By
installing, copying, or otherwise using the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, you agree
to be bound by the terms of the EULA. If you do not agree to the terms
of this Agreement, you are not authorized to view or use the SOFTWARE
PRODUCT.

The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is protected by copyright laws and international
copyright treaties, as well as other intellectual property laws and
treaties. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is licensed, not sold.

[...]

3.  TERMINATION. Your rights under the EULA terminate upon the return of
the SOFTWARE PRODUCT and all copies or upon written termination notice
from ViewCast, or without prejudice to any other rights, ViewCast may
terminate this EULA if you fail to comply with the terms and conditions
of this EULA. In such event, you must destroy all copies of the SOFTWARE
PRODUCT.

4.  COPYRIGHT. All title and copyright in and to the SOFTWARE PRODUCT
and any copies thereof are owned by ViewCast or its suppliers. All title
and intellectual property rights in and to the content which may be
accessed through use of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is the property of the
respective content owner and may be protected by applicable copyright or
other intellectual property laws and treaties. This EULA grants you no
rights to use such content.

5.  U.S. GOVERNMENT RESTRICTED RIGHTS. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is provided
with RESTRICTED RIGHTS. Use, duplication or disclosure by the Government
is subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph [c][1][ii] of
the Rights in Technical Data and Computer Software clause at DFARS
252.227-7013 or subparagraphs [c][1] and [2] of the Commercial Computer
Software Restricted Rights at 48 CFR 52,227-19, as applicable.
Manufacturer is ViewCast Corporation / 3701 West Plano Parkway, Suite
300, Plano, TX  75075-7840.

6.  EXPORT RESTRICTIONS. You agree that you will not export or re-export
the SOFTWARE PRODUCT to any country, corporate entity, person, entity or
end user subject to U.S.A. export restrictions. Restricted  countries
currently include, but are not necessarily limited to Cuba, Iran, Iraq,
Libya, North Korea, Syria and the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia (Serbia
and Montenegro, UN Protected Areas and areas of Republic of Bosnia and
Herzegovina under the control of Bosnia Serb forces). You warrant and
represent that neither the U.S.A. Bureau of Export Administration nor
any other federal agency has suspended, revoked or denied your export
privileges.

7.  LIMITED WARRANTY. VIEWCAST WARRANTS THAT THE SOFTWARE WILL PERFORM
SUBSTANTIALLY ACCORDING TO THE ACCOMPANYING WRITTEN MATERIALS FOR NINETY
(90) DAYS FROM THE DATE OF ORIGINAL PURCHASE. VIEWCAST DISCLAIMS ALL
OTHER WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED (INCLUDING, WITHOUT
LIMITATION, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE) CONCERNING THIS SOFTWARE AND ITS ACCOMPANYING
WRITTEN MATERIALS. Some jurisdictions do not allow limitations on
duration of an implied warranty, so the above limitation may not apply
to you. This limited warranty gives you specific legal rights. You may
have other rights which vary by jurisdiction.

8.  NO LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT
PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL VIEWCAST OR ITS SUPPLIERS
BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT OR  CONSEQUENTIAL
DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF
BUSINESS INFORMATION, OR ANY OTHER LOSS) ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF THE
SOFTWARE PRODUCT, EVEN IF VIEWCAST HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY
OF SUCH DAMAGES. BECAUSE OF SOME STATES LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR
CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY
TO YOU.

9.  GOVERNING LAW. This EULA is governed by the laws of the State of
Texas, USA. If, for any reason, a court of competent jurisdiction finds
any provision, or portion thereof, to be unenforceable, the remainder of
this License shall continue in full force and effect. If either ViewCast
or you employs attorneys to enforce any rights arising out of or
relating to this Agreement, the prevailing party shall be entitled to
recover reasonable attorneys' fees.

10.  MISCELLANEOUS. Should you have any questions concerning this EULA,
or if you desire to contact ViewCast for any reason, please contact or
write: 3701 W. Plano Parkway, Suite 300, Plano, TX  75075-7840.

11.  ACKNOWLEDGMENT. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ THIS AGREEMENT,
UNDERSTAND IT, AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY ITS TERMS AND CONDITIONS. YOU
ALSO AGREE THAT THIS AGREEMENT IS THE COMPLETE AND EXCLUSIVE STATEMENT
OF AGREEMENT BETWEEN PARTIES AND SUPERSEDES ALL PROPOSALS OR PRIOR
AGREEMENTS, VERBAL OR WRITTEN, AND ANY OTHER COMMUNICATION BETWEEN
PARTIES RELATING TO THE USE OF THE SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

Copyright ? 2007 ViewCast Corporation. All rights reserved.
http://www.viewcast.com